Green Thumb and Head Honcho
Hugh G. Baker Jr. is a veteran attorney, who has been engaged in the general practice of law continuously since 1973. Hugh has acted as lead counsel and tried numerous jury and bench trials, both criminal and civil. But he has also been involved in many successful settlements and mediations, sensible alternatives to litigation, which can be costly and slow, and emotionally draining.
Hugh acted as lead counsel for the Plaintiffs in Brouwer vs. Rochwarger et al, United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, Cause No. IP 92-753-C-D/F, a class action suit, on behalf of 3,000 plaintiffs, litigated for more than ten years, brought against eighteen (18) corporate and individual Defendants, pleading Racketeering (RICO) and Negligence theories. This action resulted, directly or indirectly, in a recovery of approximately 30% of the fifty eight million dollars ($58,000,000.00) of losses sustained by the class, comprised of mostly elderly, defrauded investors, and resulted in him being awarded the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, Exceptional Public Service Award, (1999).
Hugh has been married to his wife, Marianne for over 45 years. They have three children, Christie Baker Corso, Jennifer Baker Gal and Patrick Baker. They are also blessed with five grandchildren. As a true family operation, two of their children, as well as their spouses, work at the Baker Law Team. Both Hugh and Marianne enjoy tennis, gardening and spending time with numerous family and friends. They are also active members at Christ the King Church.
- B.A., Marian College, Indianapolis, IN., (1968)
- J. D., Indiana University Indianapolis Law School, (1973)
- Mediator Course, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, received certification.
Bar Affiliations and Court Admissions
- Bar of the State of Indiana, (1973)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, (1973
- United States Court of Claims, (1991)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, (1992)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, (1994)
- United States Supreme Court. (2000)
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, Exceptional Public Service Award, (1999)
Public Service & Representation
- Public Defender for the Marion County Superior Courts, (1976-80) (1982-85)
- Appointed Pauper Counsel in numerous cases for the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, (1973-83)
- Counsel to former Marion County Sheriff James Wells (1980-81)
- Chapter 7 Trustee in Bankruptcy, U. S. Trustee’s Office (1987-89)
- Member of the Indianapolis Board of Public Works, (2001-04)
- Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee (GIPC), (2001-2008)